Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: d

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: dired-warning
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 20:30:47 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:20:00 +0200
>
>     From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>     Subject: Re: Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red
> and bold: dired-warning
>     Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 22:37:07 +0200
>
>     IMO, this whole feature of highlighting attributes is an annoyance,
>     and the only reason I could live with it until now is because it
>     previously had a not-so-in-my-face color.  Now someone made it glaring
>     red, which is too much for me.

I was talking in the context of MS-Windows, where world-writable is
the default behavior.  Of course, I don't mind that this is turned off
on Posix platforms as well, but I wouldn't press them into it.

> You can expect the same angry reaction from other Emacs users after releasing
> Emacs 22.2 without fixing this annoyance.

This situation is much more rare on Posix platforms.  Anyway, the only
reason I object to this change is because we are too close to a
release.  But it's not my call.

> > As I wrote elsewhere in this thread, such a change will effectively
> > reintroduce the problem on text terminals that Martin Rudalics was
> > trying to fix when he made dired-warn inherit from
> > font-lock-warning-face.
>
> No, it fixes the original reported problem since
> font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
> defines colors for text terminals.

Yes, I stand corrected on this one.  Sorry.