Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 03:22:11 +0900

Dan Nicolaescu writes:

 > Your mailer does not respect the Mail-Followup-To header then...

No, and there's no standard saying a *mailer* should.  That's not a
Mail header, it's a News header, intended to redirect traffic from
Usenet to mail.  AFAIK it was first proposed to be added to the mail
standards more than a decade ago, and it has repeatedly failed even to
get out of committee.

(N.B.  I last checked this about two years ago, but I see no reason to
suppose the status has changed since then.)

Granted, it would be a nice feature if the proponents could get their
collective act together and get an RFC out the door, but with no
standard, what is an implementer supposed to do?  The Internet
standards themselves say pre-RFC headers should only be used by
parties who have agreed to do so ... and that apparently doesn't apply
to Drew.