Re: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries

From: Agustin Martin Domingo
Subject: Re: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:17:50 +0000 (UTC)

Sascha Wilde <wilde <at> sha-bang.de> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> wrote:
> >>       "[']" nil nil nil iso-8859-1)))
> >                           ^^^^^^^^^^
> > Shouldn't you use utf-8?  I understand hunspell is Unicode based.
>
> AFAIK it supports both.  Being quite conservative I'm running my systems
> configured for latin-1.  I successfully tested hunspell with settings
> similar to these and an german dictionary on an german, latin-1 Emacs
> buffer including words with umlauts, so it definetly works.
>
> To be true, I don't know how hunspell determinates which encoding to
> use.  For me it works with latin-1 and I haven't seriously tried to make
> it use utf-8, yet.

Seems locale based. Using an original latin1 word,

$ echo camión | LANG=es_ES.ISO-8859-1 hunspell -d es_ES
Hunspell 1.1.9
*

$ echo camión | recode l1..utf8 | LANG=es_ES.UTF8 hunspell -d es_ES
Hunspell 1.1.9
*

$ echo camión | LANG=es_ES.UTF8 hunspell -d es_ES
Hunspell 1.1.9
This UTF-8 encoding can't convert to UTF-16:
ón
This UTF-8 encoding can't convert to UTF-16:
ón
& cami 4 0: cima, casi, cama, ca mi
This UTF-8 encoding can't convert to UTF-16:
ón
& n 10 5: en, un, na, no, ni, a, e, o, u, y