Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:25:53 -0400

> All thinks considered, IMHO the present behavior, where delete-selection
> is off, is a better default.

Agreed.  In my message I referred to using a form of
delete-selection-mode, but that's a very limited form of it: it only
applies to `yank'.  I like it because it allows me to do C-M-SPC C-y to
replace an argument.

        Stefan

PS: We have had another limited form of delete-selection-mode enabled by
default for a long time know, in the form of `mouse-region-delete-keys'.
The code used to implement this feature is quite problematic, tho, and
I'd be happy if someone could use a more robust solution (or we could
just remove that feature, which I always found to be unconvincing:
people who like it will probably prefer to enable delete-selection-mode
anyway).