Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:36:44 -0400

> I would prefer a function which returns "fast" or "slow".

We have that.  It's called `file-remote-p':

   A file is considered "remote" if accessing it is likely to be slower or
   less reliable than accessing local files.

Admittedly, the current implementation is not always good enough.

> One could consider additional regexps, which tell "when the mount
> point matches this regexp, return `t' for file-mounted-p", and the
> contrary case with the other regexp.  But this would make the handling
> more complex.

That's what ffap-rfs-regexp tries to do.  And yes, I think it should be
added to file-remote-p.

        Stefan