Re: Next release

From: Bob
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 19:00:35 -0600

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:48 AM, CHENG Gao <address@hidden> wrote:
*On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:30:35 -0400
* Also sprach Chong Yidong <address@hidden>:

> If all goes well, the Emacs 23 freeze will begin sometime in late June,
> depending on how long Handa's font-backend branch and (hopefully) ECB
> take to merge into the trunk.  From that point, I'm hoping for around
> six months of testing until the 23.1 release.  With this time frame, I
> don't think we will release 22.3 , unless a security hole appears that
> we need to fix.
Is it planned to merge Cocoa port (emacs-app.sf.net) into the trunk for
this freeze? Since Carbon port is dead, if Cocoa not merged, there will
be no support of MacOSX 10.5 in trunk (IIRC trunk cannot build with X on
10.5).

I got the trunk to compile on Mac OS X 10.4 using X, gtk, and freetype just a few weeks ago (I did have to manually edit the Makefiles but it was not too hard and I'm sure the configure could be fixed).  I see no reason it won't work on 10.5 (which I will be switching to soon).  I really would like to continue using the X backend since it gives me "focus follows mouse" between X programs (and thus emacs frames), among other reasons.  Are there plans to discontinue support for emacs using X and Mac OS X?

Bob