Re: Next release

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 14:59:24 -0400

>>> Is it planned to merge Cocoa port (emacs-app.sf.net) into the trunk for
>>> this freeze? Since Carbon port is dead, if Cocoa not merged, there will
>>> be no support of MacOSX 10.5 in trunk (IIRC trunk cannot build with X on
>>> 10.5).
>>>
>>> I seem to recall that the Cocoa port also works with GNUstep.
>>> Is that correct?
>> Sure as said in its home site (http://emacs-app.sf.net):

>> ,----
>> | NeXT/OpenStep Emacs for GNUstep and OS X
>> |
>> | This is a port of the latest GNU Emacs source to the OpenStep (or
>> | NeXTstep) APIs, as implemented by Cocoa on OS X as well as the GNUstep
>> | open source project.
>> `----

> GNUstep is currently one of CANNOT_DUMP platforms, and we have to make
> sure if Emacs 23 works on such platforms.  Especially, preloading of
> term/*-win.el, which was introduced by multi-tty, might cause some
> problem on such platforms if it was changed by necessity.  Otherwise,
> the preloading was actually unnecessary for multi-tty and it was
> slipped into the unrelated multi-tty merger.

I haven't been able to run the GNUstep version yet myself (it compiles
by crashes at the very first call to ObjC code), but supposedly someone
did get it to run on a Debian machine (mine's also Debian, for what
it's worth).

This said, we need to figure out how to do the dump for GNUstep in any
case.  As for the multi-tty preloading of win-*, I don't think it's
a problem for CANNOT_DUMP: IIUC the reason for this change is that those
win-* files prefer to be loaded "early" (e.g. before the .emacs file).

        Stefan