Re: Carbon port and multi-tty

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Carbon port and multi-tty
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 12:51:36 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 12:05:03 +0200
>>
>> If they don't care enough, why should I when I am not even affected?
>
> Because you want to be better then they are?

I have a better chance for that on my home turf.  Because there I have a
good notion about what is important and what not, and I _see_ the
results of my work every day and can estimate its quality.

As an example: I seem to remember that you gave the MSDOS port a
text-mode CUA-like menu behavior and look, whereas this does not hold
true for text-mode on other operating systems (where tmm-mode is almost
universally despised).

I am not even sure there is any remaining user of MSDOS Emacs.  So how
does it make you a better person if you focus on supporting something
which nobody seems to care about, anyway?  Then this "better" is
basically just making a statement about your skills, but not its
beneficial effect on others.

I am not in a position to direct your efforts elsewhere, and indeed I
use text mode rarely enough nowadays that it would make much of a
difference for myself.  There are users that still prefer text
terminals, though.  But then the MSDOS code presumably is there, and if
somebody was _really_ agitated about it, he could attempt a port.  It
may be a wart, but it is not like it is a fresh one...

--
David Kastrup