Re: Next release

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 12:32:57 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 21:26:57 -0400
>
> On X11, when I start `emacs', the first thing that happens is to open
> a frame, with the toolbar, and only after that is the .emacs
> file loaded.
>
> So how can Emacs-22 on W32 avoid loading the image libraries before
> how does it avoid displaying the tool-bar before loading the .emacs?

Like Jason, I don't have the detailed explanation why, but as a matter
of fact, when Emacs starts on Windows, it only shows the initial frame
with empty text area, and the menu bar.  The tool bar appears only
when the first time Emacs performs a full redisplay, e.g. if it asks
me whether to load a desktop file that is locked by another session.

AFAIR, the tool bar is handled by Emacs as a special kind of window,
which could explain why it isn't shown until redisplay.

As for why this is different from X11: what toolkit was used in the
version of Emacs you started above?  If that was GTK+, perhaps what
you see is something specific to GTK, which handles the tool bar in
some different way?  Can you try with other toolkits?