Re: Next release

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 00:53:18 +0100

On 10 May 2008, at 21:30, David Kastrup wrote:

I suggest mapping the frame beforehand, as now,
if --debug-init is specified.

This could turn display related startup bugs into Heisenbugs (disappear
when trying to debug them).

Yes, but these would likely be bugs in Emacs and not the user's code, such as bug #166. They should be rather rare! Frame operations ought to work on visible and invisible frames alike, correct?

 I'd go that way only if we find that just
putting the debug-init output onto either startup splash or stderr
really don't do the trick.

Is that instead of entering the standard debugger?
Is the non-debuggable visibility issue going to cause enough problems to merit this sort of workaround?

 It would be my guess that an option like
--debug-init would mostly be given on a console, so stderr might
actually work pretty well for a traceback or something.

The normal debugger allows interaction and inspection of variables etc. That's nice to have.