Re: Next release

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 14:28:34 -0400

>> The multi-tty change is not different from any other: if there's a part
>> which you find dubious, please bring it up here so we can fix it
>> (either reverting that part of the change, or adding comments to better
>> explain it, ...).

>> From admin/FOR-RELEASE, Windows section:

> ** libxpm is loaded too soon
> Since the multi-tty merge, libxpm is loaded before the init files because
> of changes in toolbar setup; that prevents using image-library-alist in
> .emacs to select the desired XPM library.  Reported by Takashi Hiromatsu.
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg02191.html

I've just installed a change in tool-bar.el which delays the call to
find-image.  Instead of being called in tool-bar-setup, it's now called
when looking up the tool-bar keymap.  This may also allow the toolbar
to use different icons on different displays (e.g. some color, some b&w)
in the same Emacs instance.

This probably won't fix the problem right away (after all, the toolbar
is displayed before reading the .emacs, so the tool-bar filter will be
triggered (and will call find-image) before the .emacs is read).  But we
may then just change `tool-bar-make-keymap' so it just returns nil if
after-init-time is nil.  I'm curious: if Emacs-22 on W32 only loads the
image libraries after the .emacs, does that mean that it doesn't display
the tool-bar while loading the .emacs?

If this works, we may then move the call to tool-bar-setup to an even
earlier place (e.g. frame-initialize or even earlier), so we can get rid
of the tool-bar-setup variable.

        Stefan