Re: (re)display problems after font backend merge

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: (re)display problems after font backend merge
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 20:37:44 +0200

On Sat, 17 May 2008 15:02:36 +0100 David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Stephen Berman wrote:
>
>> I have not been setting any X resources, though the distribution I'm
>> using (openSUSE 10.3) does set default X resources for Emacs, though
>> "Emacs.FontBackend: xft" is not among them.  I just put that in
>> ~/.Xresources and started a fresh Emacs, but I don't see any difference:
>> the broken underlining and Gnus Summary buffer problems I documented are
>> still present.
>>

> Just in case: did you add it to the active resource database itself?
> You can see the current contents of your X resource database with
> xrdb -q , and add to it by e.g.
>
> echo "Emacs.FontBackend: xft" | xrdb -merge

Ah, thank you.  It was indeed not in the active resource database.
After adding it the way you suggest and restarting Emacs, I now do see
very clear differences.  The non-ascii characters in the Gnus Summary
buffer appear as they did before the font backend merge.  However, the
underlining is still broken and too close to the bottom of the
characters.  But in addition, now the appearance of variable-pitch face
is peculiar and literally variable depending on the values of certain
face attributes, in ways that are to me unexpected and unpredictable.
The following screen shot shows these observations:

PNG image

This image shows split windows, with the Gnus Summary buffer on top and
the Article buffer below.  The mode line of the Summary buffer has my
customized mode-line face (Helvetica font as in variable-pitch face,
plus over- and underlining).  The mode line of the Article buffer has
mode-line-inactive face, which inherits from mode-line but overrides the
weight attribute, making it light.  The Article buffer also has a header
line from the tabbar library, which I've customized with font Helvetica,
width compressed, height 85 in 1/10 pt and weight medium (and it also
shows the over- and underlining from my customized header-line face --
note the underlining is unbroken, in constrast to that of the mode-line
face).

Steve Berman