Re: Fixed-pitch and variable-pitch faces

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Fixed-pitch and variable-pitch faces
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:59:53 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> > In article <address@hidden>, James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:
> > [...]
>>> The complication, of course, is when multiple font backends are in use.
>>> I run with just xft.  If you have x,xft then it is probably right for
>>> the Helvetica bitmap to win out.  If xft,x then that might be debatable:
>>> whether 'tis better to give primary weight to the name or to the technology?
> >
> > FYI, the current font-selection code doesn't pay attention
> > to the order of font backends.

> I guess we can worry about this problem after making the fontconfig
> backend recognize the necessary mappings, which it currently does not.
> (For example, (list-fonts (font-spec :family "courier")) returns only
> x-backend fonts.)  Do you know how to do that?

As far as I know, fontconfig's API FcFontMatch is very
difficult to use here.  It always returns a font that
fontconfig thinks best matching with the given pattern.  If
the family name of the returned font is different from the
requested one, there's no way to know whether the requested
family name is remapped (or selected as an alias) by some
config file or not.

So, Emacs currently uses FcFontList only (except for such
generic families; monospace, sans-serit, serif).

In your case, what is returned by this?
% fc-list courier

---
Kenichi Handa