Re: Fixed-pitch and variable-pitch faces

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Fixed-pitch and variable-pitch faces
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 15:14:22 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>> The current (apparent) unpredictability of Emacs' font-selection can be
>> quite maddening...
>
> What unpredictability do you mean here?  Emacs simply
> doesn't find a font that "fc-list" doesn't find.

For instance if I set the `default' face to have family "Aurulent Sans
Mono", Emacs chooses something completely different ("FreeMono" as it
happens).

If I select the same font, "Aurulent Sans Mono", at the same size,  in
e.g. gnome-terminal, it uses it.  gnome-terminal, AFAIK, uses fontconfig.

There seem to be quite a few fonts like this, which definitely exist and
work fine in other apps, but which I can't get Emacs to use.

-Miles

--
XML is like violence.  If it doesn't solve your problem, you're not
using enough of it.