Re: Rmail-mbox branch

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Rmail-mbox branch
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:18:43 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:
Paul Michael Reilly <address@hidden> writes:
I presume it's a mistake that you also committed a bunch of what seem to
be temporary files ?
Nope.  I figured it would make some sense to provide this data,
especially the log of changes I applied as part of the somewhat
incomplete merge.

I'm not sure what you mean -- those files seem to merely contain output
from the "cvs log" command, which could presumably be easily duplicated by
anyone.  Obviously the annotations could as well.  [If you want that info
at a particular point in time, you should use "cvs tag" to add a tag.]

So what exactly is the point of dumping it all into files in the repository?

The *.changes files contain notes I added on what was done in the merge in case anyone wants to use/check that information in the absence of a real merge log entry. The real merge entry will get generated when the pmail*.el files are converted back to rmail*.el files. The *.annotation files were extremely useful during the merge from the branch to the pmail*.el files and while I knew/know they can be regenerated it is a convenience to have them handy, IMHO. Again, all of these pmail*.el, *.changes and *.annotations files supporting completing the Rmail/mbox conversion are temporary and exist in the faint hope that it will make it easier to get other developers to help out. And in no small part because I have not worked on this code in years and wanted to have an audit trail to help reveal any mistakes I might have made.

-pmr