Re: whither GNU

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: whither GNU
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:21:40 +0200

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 05:40, David Robinow <address@hidden> wrote:

> No, that's a separate issue.

I don't think so. I was answering to that specific point: that some
GNU projects do double duty. bzr was chosen as a political statement,
so its role as message took priority over technical quality (its
technical quality, and those of the alternatives).

> Thomas is referring to the (unnecessary)
> war against non-free software having preference over the improvement
> of free software.

I've been reading the thread.

>  The choice of bzr was perfectly reasonable. Emacs and bzr are part of
> the GNU community. The choice has increased the "market share" of bzr
> and has already led to improvements.

You're agreeing with Tom: the choice of bzr was "perfectly reasonable"
for political, not technical, reasons.

>  Are there still problems? I don't know. I haven't used it yet. If you
> find any you should file a bug report.

I have used it. Perhaps that's why it's a bit more difficult for me to
consider it a perfectly reasonable choice.

(I'm not trying to restart that debate, though; I'm just agreeing with
Tom on a very specific point of his very interesting thoughts).

  Juanma