Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:40:10 -0400

    For web template files (like PHP, JSP, Genshi etc) there are however
    often several major mode chunks involved. In for example a php file
    there may be chunks with these major modes

      - nxhtml-mode / html-mode
      - php-mode
      - css-mode
      - javascript-mode

It seems to me that if PHP files are likely to contain these other
things, it is good for Emacs to handle them automatically in PHP files.

Here's one way: rename the basic PHP mode to `php-only-mode', and
define `php-mode' as the mumamo mode to handle all of these.  What do
you think?

Another variant is to make `php-mode' check for other languages, and
call either `php-only-mode' or `php-mumamo-mode'.  Or perhaps it could
select among a larger variety of modes, depending on what combinations
of languages are actually used in one file.

If we don't do this, users can cope by adding explicit -*- specs.  But
that is inconvenient, so why not do this automatically?