Re: bug in server-start

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug in server-start
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:25:53 -0500

> What benefit does that bring?  Presumably, previously the first Emacs
> instance was the current server, which was fine with me.

No, as mentioned the second was "the current server", overriding
the first.  And when the second exits, it doesn't magically re-enable
the first.
So when starting the second (in Emacs-22), the first server is neutered,
but without even knowing it.  In Emacs-22 it was a problem, but a fairly
minor one.  With "emacs --daemon" this is now a much more serious
problem since if the daemon is thus neutered it will keep running
without the user having any way to access it: it can only look for it in
`ps' and kill it.

        Stefan