Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:09:16 -0500

    I think you are wrong about suspend making no sense on GUI terminals:
    we have (in Emacs 23) suspend-frame that does work on GUI.

It does this by lumping together various different operations.
Really it is just a way of trying to make C-z do something meaningful
on window systems where suspending Emacs is not useful.
It is a useful command, but sheds no light on how to conceptualize the
interfaces at the Lisp level.

    Anyway, the examples I gave were just that: examples.  Here's another
    example: we have make-frame-on-display, make-frame-on-tty, and
    make-terminal-frame; and then we have make-frame that can do all of
    the above.  IMO, it's terribly confusing.

Would you like to propose a change for these, which people could consider?