Re: request: make-frame-visible hook

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: request: make-frame-visible hook
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:59:37 +0100

Richard M Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>      before-modify-buffer-hook  (run before changing buffer)
>      after-modify-buffer-hook  (run after changing buffer)
>
> Modification hooks already do exist.
> Are they somehow inadequate?

Can't remember offhand - maybe.

>      before-cursor-move-hook
>      after-cursor-move-hook
>
> Text properties exist to do this.
> Are they somehow inadequate?

It is not appropriate for "global modes" to add text properties
everywhere - that's even worse than using post-command-hook IMO.

>      before-window-buffer-change-hook
>      after-window-buffer-change-hook
>      focus-window-hook
>      unfocus-window-hook
>      enter-buffer-hook
>      exit-buffer-hook
>
> What packages would want these, and what are they trying to do?

I cannot say for sure.

I have had various ideas over the years, but did not pursue them
of lack of a simple way to hook this into existing framework.

One example I recall is to properly restore window buffers
after displaying the *Help* buffer - the current "suggested
restore previous buffer command" falls flat on its face if
you have two windows showing different portions of the same buffer -
and one of the windows is taken by the *Help* buffer.

Focus/unfocus window would be used to change the background
color of active/inactive window.

enter-buffer / exit-buffer I know I needed at some point, but
I don't recall right now.