Re: Pretest next week

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Pretest next week
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 19:15:17 +0200

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

> In the reported case,
> read_socket_hook is called from the select (ns_select, actually) call
> in wait_reading_process_output, and a menu bar activation there leads
> to Lisp evaluation containing Faccept_process_output.

It appears that a call verify-visited-file-modtime happens for each active menu item, which then triggers tramp to go and check on the server. This causes a reentrant call to wait_reading_process_output, thence a reentrant call to ns_select. I've added a check in the latter to shortcircuit in the reentrant case. There is still a delay when requesting a menu, but this is probably unavoidable if the visited modtime must be checked for each menu
item.

I've looked at your code in the Carbon AppKit port and it seems like your approach to handling menu events there could be applied to the NS port. The only difference I see in your event handling is processing all event types in
one function instead of passing them through NSApp-sendEvent: to go be
distributed through ordinary Cocoa channels to widgets. But since - sendEvent:
is an interception point, the menu events could be taken there.