Re: `font-lock-extend-region-functions' vs. `font-lock-extend-after-chan

From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
Subject: Re: `font-lock-extend-region-functions' vs. `font-lock-extend-after-change-region-function'
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 18:37:23 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> The way I imagine fixing it is by changing jit-lock-functions such that
> the functions on that hook (e.g. font-lock-fontify-region) would return
> the new boundaries they used (or nil if they kept the boundaries passed
> by jit-lock).

I'd also like if the font-lock-extend-region-functions were called with
an argument counter representing the number of extend region passes so
far.

Of course that would be a backwards-incompatible API change but you
could bind a special variable representing the count.

Purpose is to guard against infinite loops.

Alternatively `font-lock-default-fontify-region' could be made smarter
in so far as it could check whether a pass actually changed
font-lock-beg and font-lock-end, and if not, would not try another pass.

(Strictly speaking the latter would also mean a slight API change, but
anyone who were bitten by this should be slapped three times by some
appropriately thick book anyway. :-))

  -T.