Re: Keybindings in non-Latin layout

From: Andrey Paramonov
Subject: Re: Keybindings in non-Latin layout
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 18:47:21 +0000 (UTC)

Juri Linkov <juri <at> jurta.org> writes:
> > Is there a way to implement such a feature in GNU Emacs or it would
> > only work on w32, not on GNU system? Maybe it is possible to solve
> > these problems using the knowledge about character conversion
> > (available in the input method)? Is it possible to use input method
> > character conversion table the other direction?
>
> This is possible with the following patch:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/46455/focus=46602

I've read the thread you pointed out, and the fact that devs consider the
current GNU Emacs behavior a bug gives some hope. From the discussion I
understand that the patch doesn't solve the problem completely, i.e. C-x b won't
work in Russian layout anyway.

I've looked at how Mozilla solved the similar issue in Firefox for GNU systems.
The solution works nicely for me. The diff is available here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=289837&action=diff

Possible alternative solution is to let input methods provide backward
conversion tables, and make use of them when not doing self-insert-command. That
should work even if (possibly, only if) the input method is off.

The things to consider:

1) Do we want to keep the ability to assign keybindings to something like C-Ц? I
don't think it's reasonable.

2) If we go the Mozilla way: what if one uses dvorak and qwerty X layouts in the
same system? Don't know if it's an important issue though, as I don't use
dvorak.

I think the bug is important to fix as it's a sad example of how an application
works better under non-free than under free system.

Andrey