Re: Keybindings in non-Latin layout

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Keybindings in non-Latin layout
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 02:57:08 +0300

>> This is possible with the following patch:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/46455/focus=46602
>
> I've read the thread you pointed out, and the fact that devs consider the
> current GNU Emacs behavior a bug gives some hope. From the discussion I
> understand that the patch doesn't solve the problem completely, i.e. C-x b
> won't
> work in Russian layout anyway.

As you already noticed `C-x b' won't work, and a Mozilla-like patch
won't help with a single characters like `b' in a key sequence.

Now I see one way to fix this problem.  What if we would define
a parallel branch in a keymap where every defined key sequence
has a copy translated according to a conversion table.

So, for example, a define-key call:

(define-key global-map [(control ?x) ?b] 'switch-to-buffer)

would also define [(control ?ч) ?и] with the same binding
in the same keymap as if it were defined explicitly with:

(define-key global-map [(control ?ч) ?и] 'switch-to-buffer)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/