Re: display-buffer cleverness - how to tame?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: display-buffer cleverness - how to tame?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 12:36:00 -0400

> It's a joke, right?  Emacs adding DWIM now means that if you want the simple,
> straightforward behavior of old you need to write it yourself?

I think you're slightly exaggerating here: the behavior you seem to want
(i.e. split vertically the smaller window, just because it happens to
be the LRU window and because the largest is not full-width), is pretty
far from "straightforward".
It was at least as magical as the current behavior.  It just happened to
work well in one of your cases, by accident.

        Stefan