Re: Initialisation of dired-x for install-info guessing

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Initialisation of dired-x for install-info guessing
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 23:03:30 +0300

> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vincent_Bela=EFche?= <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 21:01:26 +0200
> Cc: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vincent_Bela=EFche?= <address@hidden>,
>       Karl Berry <address@hidden>
>
> --8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<---
> ;; info files
> (list "\.info$"
>       (cond
>        ((eq system-type 'windows-nt)
>       "for %i in ( * ) do install-info \"%i\" \"%~pi\\dir\"")
>        (t ; bash
>       "for i in  * ; do p=`dirname \"$i\"`;install-info $i $p/dir\"; done"))
> )

Thanks.  However, the command you suggest for windows-nt will only
work with cmd.exe as the shell and only with latest versions of it.
Emacs still supports older Windows versions where the shell is
command.com which does not know about "%~pi".

So an alternative for older shells will be needed before this can go
in.

Also, I'm not sure I understand what is this command trying to do.  It
seems to try to install Info files in the subdirectory named literally
`dir' of the directory where those Info files live?