Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Antoine Levitt
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 11:37:35 +0200

I think line-move-visual is great for common usage. It seems to me the problem of users with this new setting is mainly in keyboard macros. Why not disable line-move-visual when typing or replaying a keyboard macro, since in most case the user want the action to be independent of the line it is on ? Kind of a hack, but there's clearly two usages of the line move commands here.
On 2009-05-13 17:06 (-0700), garyo wrote:

> Good point, it's important to attract new users, but there are already
> so many ways Emacs differs from any other editor that I'm not sure
> it's worth breaking existing keyboard macros that have worked for
> years [...]

Hmm, does somebody really expect keyboard macros to work reliably over
years? (Even if they may have worked in some cases.) Well, I have used
Emacs less than year but I see macros more like temporary helpers.

I'll have line-move-visual turned on from the day I upgrade to Emacs 23,
regardless of the default. I think it's the normal behavior in text
editors and pretty much in all text editing and thus it's sensible
default. Long-timers with their years-old keyboard macros do know how to
deal with Emacs configuration.