Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 07:31:07 -0700 (PDT)

>    > Another weirdness when this is turned on is what happens when you
>    > do C-u 25 C-n (go down 25 lines). This goes down a variable
>    > number of (real) lines now, depending on your emacs's screen
>    > width! A little odd, no? Maybe it's not, and I'm just old and
>    > stuck in my ways.
>
> I find this odd as well.
>
>    Obviously your logic is valid too. It's just that computer users
>    tend to navigate visually on the screen-buffer. Machines, such as
>    Emacs Lisp code, navigates on file-buffer (usually).

Perhaps this is too obvious to mention: why not make `next-line' treat
`line-move-visual' as nil whenever it is given a prefix argument?  It
would not be difficult to decorate usage of C-n/C-p/<up>/<down> with C-1
in macros that already exist.

(It would be tempting to have the prefix argument reverse the meaning of
the variable rather than merely ignore it, but then macros written to use
the character-based mode would change meaning when the variable changed.)

Davis

shipping.