Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 23:53:05 -0400

> I don't see anything bizarre and extreme about this change, but as a
> minor point I wish this change had been made by rebinding C-n to a [new?]
> command `next-visual-line'.  It used to be that "line" meant the text
> between two \n's, and now its definition has become vague and mushy.

There's already been such a distinction between next-line and
forward-line.  The "text between two \n" has always been associated with
forward-line, whereas next-line was used for a mroe visually-oriented
notion of line (e.g. it skips invisible text, even if it contains \n).
For this reason, most (not all, of course) uses of next-line in Elisp is
a bug.  And for this reason as well, I don't think there's a strong
motivation to introduce yet-another line-movement command.

        Stefan