Re: Documentation of transient-mark-mode is sloppy, wrong, and confuse

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Documentation of transient-mark-mode is sloppy, wrong, and confused.
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:25:44 +0900

Andreas Roehler writes:

 > 1) region-exists-p
 > 2) region-has-extent

Please don't use this term this way.  It would be very confusing for
XEmacs.

It's not clear to me why anybody cares about whether the region has
non-zero length or not, anyway.  It seems to me that `region-exists-p'
and `region-active-p' as used in XEmacs would be sufficient.

 > 3) region-is-visible

I don't understand what Alan's problem with "active regions" is.  As
I've pointed out in the past, although "receptive" might be a better
term, usages like "active receptor" (in biochemistry) are very common.
If Alan is essentially unique in this objection, and he seems to be
(sorry, Alan!) then I see no need to cater to him.