Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:22:09 +0900

David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden> writes:
> ?  It was my understanding (which could be flawed) that applications
> never look at .Xdefaults, it's up to you to do an
> xrdb -merge .Xdefaults

No, ~/.Xdefaults is read directly by applications, without using the
server's database (which is what xrdb manipulates).

I like using it because I often used to forget to re-run xrdb after
making a change, and using .Xdefaults allows me to omit that step.

The "rules" (by my observation) are a bit bizarre:  If there's
_anything_ in the server's database, even entries for an unrelated
application, then ~/.Xdefaults is completely ignored, and only entries
from the server database are used; otherwise ~/.Xdefaults is used.

[Gnome's interfering entries aren't related to Emacs at all, it just
puts some random crap in there, but that's enough to screw up Emacs

You'd think it would be more useful to automagically _merge_ the server
database with the contents of ~/.Xdefaults, but that's not what the X
libraries do.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on getting Gnome to stop screwing things up;
I'll try it...

"Don't just question authority,
Don't forget to question me."
-- Jello Biafra