Re: line-move-visual

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 07:48:37 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>> IIRC we never had a vote about this issue - maybe it's time to have it.
>
> It's almost impossible to get a representative sample of Emacs users, so
> what would be the point?

The vote is a way to know the opinion of a subset of Emacs users.
Whether this subset is representative or not may be a good question,
but a poll can still be useful without an answer to this question.

> Emacs is not a democracy, although the maintainers generally pay a lot
> of attention to the opinions and arguments of others.  In the face of
> contentious changes, it's the job of the maintainers to understand the
> arguments on both sides and make a judgement call as to what the best
> solution for the entire Emacs user base is.

Agreed.  A vote is a tool to help maintainers pay attention.

> I guess if you think you have arguments that nobody has seen before, you
> could present them (it seems a bit unlikely though).

I didn't enter this discussion because basically my arguments were
already stated by others.  A vote is also great for sparing the time of
everyone: express an opinion once and let X person vote for it without
the need to express their arguments for this opinion again and again.

Anyway.

I created a poll.  The result are send by email to me.  Would be better
to send the results to the maintainers, though - but it's just sort of a
proof of concept.

  "Should line-move-visual default to nil or t?"
   http://www.micropoll.com/akira/mpview/623312-182840

If people are interested in launching such a poll, please do so.

--
 Bastien