Re: rfc2047.el dependencies on mm-util.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: rfc2047.el dependencies on mm-util.el
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:21:13 -0400

>     I'm not familar with those functions, but they don't look particularly
>     unclear to me.

> If you can manage to understand them, can you please add comments explaining
> their code clearly?

Not really, because I don't know what's unclear about it.

>> I am going to move rfc20457.el outside Gnus to make it a regular part
>> of Emacs.
>     It's been part of Emacs since Emacs-21.
> I am going to make it a regular part of Emacs

I don't know what that means.

> -- no longer part of Gnus.

Isn't this out of your control?

>       And I don't think you can prevent the Gnus maintainers from
>     distributing rfc2047.el along with Gnus.
> I have no wish to stop them.  I'm concerned with what's in Emacs.  How
> Gnus is distributed outside of Emacs is not the issue.

Then I don't know what you mean by "no longer part of Gnus".

>     Rather than focus on code-ownership, I'd rather we focus on this latter
>     part: "clean and understandable".
> Part of making them clean and understandable is making the code not
> depend on Gnus.

What do you mean by "Gnus" in this context?  E.g., in my view,
mm-util.el is not part of Gnus (C-s gnus in this file shows it does
appear, but mostly in comments).

>     I'm still wondering why someone would want to do that since it seems
>     pretty far from the goal of improving the user's experience.
> The goal is to move rfc2047.el outside of Gnus so that other parts
> of Emacs can use it without using Gnus.

These words don't mean much to me since AFAICT rfc2047.el is already
independent from Gnus.

        Stefan