Re: One example of code I can't understand

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: One example of code I can't understand
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:41:27 -0400

    Currently, we are using unibyte buffers for various internal
    operations (e.g rmail, tar-mode, jka-compr, ...).

    It is theoretically possible to modify all of them to use a
    multibyte buffer that contains only ASCII and eight-bit
    chars.  But, as it may make the operations slow, I don't see
    a merit in doing that.

    Is that what you want to know?

Yes.  It means we certainly don't want to eliminate unibyte buffers.