Re: Changes in lisp/Makefile.in to skip preloaded files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes in lisp/Makefile.in to skip preloaded files
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:23:32 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 03:23:30 -0400
>

> Actually, I installed something else. It will need adapting for
> Windows, since that seems to put the list of lisp files in
> lib-src/Makefile rather than src/Makefile.

Not only is it in another directory, it is also not expanded by cpp,
unlike src/Makefile, and thus does not end up in a single line.  Which
means your code will not work at all with lib-src/makefile on w32.  In
fact, if we ever switch away from producing src/Makefile by running
cpp, this new code will break on Posix platforms as well.

What I had in mind for working around possible limitations of
command-line length was to run "make -C ../src echolisp > FILE" and
then read that FILE inside batch-update-autoloads.  The w32 code could
then create FILE in 2 chunks, using its $(lisp1) and $(lisp2)
variables; the rest of the code in batch-update-autoloads could then
work on both Posix and Windows.