Re: Starting multiple async processes from inside dired using &

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Starting multiple async processes from inside dired using &
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:36:53 -0400

> For non-dead old *Async Shell Command*<N> buffers, let the user clean
> house on demand, using a command that shows the names of the buffers
> and lets you delete them selectively (or all at once).

No, that's too complicated.  This should be handled automatically.

>> It seems the best option is to search and revive an existing buffer,
>> but there is another problem: the user might want to keep the output
>> of an old *Async Shell Command*<N> buffer and not overwrite it with
>> the output of another process.

Emacs could retain the old output, concatenating the new output into it.
We do something similar for, e.g., the output of M-x byte-compile-file
in the *Compile-Log* buffer.  This should just be a matter of replacing
the `erase-buffer' call in `shell-command'.