Re: How to recognize keyboard insertion?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: How to recognize keyboard insertion?
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 14:25:42 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > User types: ABCD(4+5)*9
 > > Displayed as: (4+5)*9DCBA Parens here must be LTR
 >
 > No, it's displayed as 9*(4+5)DCBA.

That seems weird to me.  From my (probably imperfect) understanding of
UAX#9 I would expect the following sequence of displays starting with
an empty buffer (notation: uppercase letters are RTL, lowercase
letters and digits are LTR, -!- is point):

-!-
-!-A
-!-BA
-!-CBA
-!-DCBA
-!-)DCBA
4-!-)DCBA
4+-!-)DCBA
4+5-!-)DCBA      [1]
-!-(4+5)DCBA     <-- point jumps
(4+5)*-!-DCBA    <-- point jumps again
(4+5)*9-!-DCBA

I gather you're saying the correct interpretation of UAX#9 is
(starting from [1]):

4+5-!-)DCBA      [1]
-!-(4+5)DCBA     <-- point jumps
-!-*(4+5)DCBA