Re: Fwd: Re: Inadequate documentation of silly characters on screen.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Inadequate documentation of silly characters on screen.
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:27:06 -0500

>> We should probably moved towards making all string immediates multibyte
>> and add a new syntax to unibyte immediates.
> Also, make it an error to try to put a multibyte character in a unibyte
> string rather than automatically converting the string to multibyte or

Yes.  Currently, we need this conversion specifically because many
strings start as unibyte even though they really should start right away
as multibyte.  This said, `aset' in multibyte strings is still evil
and unnecessary.

> silently truncating to 8 bit or whatever Emacs does now.

I don't think Emacs-23 does such silent truncations any more, tho there
might be some such checks that we still haven't installed.

        Stefan