Re: Inadequate documentation of silly characters on screen.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Inadequate documentation of silly characters on screen.
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:30:13 -0500

> I don't see why you *need* them at all.

We don't need the unibyte representation.  But we do need to distinguish
bytes and chars, encoded string from non-encoded strings, etc...
What representation is used for them is secondary, but using different
representations for the two cases doesn't seem to be a source
of problems.  The source of problems is that inherited history where we
mixed the unibyte and multibyte objects and treid to pretend they were
just one and the same thing and that conversion between them can be
done automatically.

        Stefan