Re: Ediff-patch-file with wrong default buffer (was: Fix info display of

From: Michael Kifer
Subject: Re: Ediff-patch-file with wrong default buffer (was: Fix info display of images)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:43:25 -0500

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 07:14:12 +0200
Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> This is not just improvement, but a plain bug fix.  I suggest to
> >> install it.
> >>
> >> Since IIUC currently CVS is read-only, you could create a bug report
> >> in the bug database to guarantee your bug fix is not lost and fixed in
> >> the next release.
> >
> > It is not read-only yet, I think.  Please go ahead and install the
> > patch.
>
> Installed.
>
> BTW, there is some regression in Ediff.
>
> Running `ediff-patch-file' in a buffer with the patch used to propose
> the name of the current buffer by default, but now it proposes some
> irrelevant buffer name.
>
> This bug can be reproduced by opening the initial David's message with the
> patch in this thread and typing `M-x ediff-patch-file'.  To the question
> "Is the patch already in a buffer" type `y'.  After that in the prompt
> "Buffer that holds the patch" it provides some other buffer by default.
> It used to provide the current buffer by default.
>
> Maybe the reason is that Ediff recognizes buffers with patches only
> in the CVS format?  In this case Ediff should be fixed to support
> other formats since we are switching from CVS now.

I haven't looked at the ediff patch, which you are referring to, but, FYI,
Ediff only looks at the current buffer, the next, and the previous, window, and
the other-buffer. It does not attempt to search for the best possible buffer.
In those buffers that it looks at, it tries to see if it has a diff or a context
diff. This is controlled by ediff-context-diff-label-regexp.

So, either the patch that you are referring to broke the above behavior or the
current buffer does not match ediff-context-diff-label-regexp.