Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:08:57 -0500

> Maybe we can try to strike a balance between not keeping the ChangeLog
> up to date at all and making it difficult to commit *one* changeset that
> includes both ChangeLog updates _and_ file updates by committing the
> ChangeLog updates separately?  This way, we can have a very short
> summary in the ChangeLog commit, e.g.:

No, don't.  It's very simple to do it in a single commit: use C-x 4 a as
usual to write the ChangeLog, then use C-c C-a in the *vc-commit* buffer
to pull the ChangeLog text and then C-c C-c to do the commit of all the
files (including the ChangeLog).
The text is duplicated but written only once and that's what counts.

We may reconsider this in the future by dropping the ChangeLog file
(aka auto-constructing it from the commit logs), but not now.

        Stefan