Re: Help me unstick my bzr, please.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help me unstick my bzr, please.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:48:51 +0200

> From: Giorgos Keramidas <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 04:37:24 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > When I execute bzr status, it gives me a list of ~55 allegedly modified
> > files, finishing up with:
> >
> >     pending merge tips: (use -v to see all merge revisions)
> >       Jan D. 2010-01-06 [merge] Fix slowdown and wrong font choosed by
> > XSETTINGS...
> >
> > Would somebody please tell me what I might have done to make bzr think
> > I've got 55 modified files?  How might I recover from this?
>
> The "pending merge" message means that in the past (before you made the
> quick fix to the two files) you did:
>
>     bzr merge
>
> This pulled stuff from the local trunk branch, and merged it with your
> local quickfixes branch.  But you have to also run "bzr commit" to
> complete the fix.  You didn't at the time, so the quickfixes branch
> remains in a "the merge has locally finished but it is uncommitted"
> state.

That's probably what happened.

> I think the easiest way to revert your local "quickfixes" branch to a
> known & sane state is something like:
>
>     1. Keep a backup of the two files you modified.
>     2. Wipe the local quickfixes branch.
>     3. Re-create the quickfixes from trunk.
>     4. Overwre the two files in the new quickfixes branch.
>     5. Use "bzr diff" to inspect the changes.
>     6. Commit them with "bzr commit".

Why not simply

  ~/emacs/emacs.bzr/quickfixes$ bzr merge --force

?  Then Alan could continue with the normal quickfixes workflow:

  ~/emacs/emacs.bzr/quickfixes$ cd ../trunk
  ~/emacs/emacs.bzr/trunk$ bzr update
  ~/emacs/emacs.bzr/trunk$ bzr merge ../quickfixes
  ~/emacs/emacs.bzr/trunk$ bzr commit -m "Fixed bug #1234."

Are there any problems with using --force in this case?

(From the discussions on the Bazaar list, I understand that some very
near future version will make "bzr merge" display a warning when there
are uncommitted changes, instead of erroring out.  So the above would
happen for Alan anyway, in that future version.)