Re: Help me unstick my bzr, please.

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Help me unstick my bzr, please.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 04:37:24 +0200

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:27:24 +0000, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, Emacs,
>
> I've been struggling with this fine distributed version control system
> for over a week now.  My trouble is that I have no mental picture of
> what the main bits are in bzr and what the relationships between them
> are.  I don't find the bazaar documentation much help in forming such a
> mental picture.
>
> Specific problem: I have just fixed a bug in my "quickfixes" branch.
> This involved changing a single C file and .../src/ChangeLog.  I
> attempt to merge the change into my "trunk" branch by doing this:
>
>     ~/emacs/emacs.bzr/quickfixes$ bzr merge
>
> I get this error message:
>
>     bzr: ERROR: Working tree "/home/acm/emacs/emacs.bzr/quickfixes/" has
>     uncommitted changes (See bzr status).
>
> When I execute bzr status, it gives me a list of ~55 allegedly modified
> files, finishing up with:
>
>     pending merge tips: (use -v to see all merge revisions)
>       Jan D. 2010-01-06 [merge] Fix slowdown and wrong font choosed by
> XSETTINGS...
>
> Would somebody please tell me what I might have done to make bzr think
> I've got 55 modified files?  How might I recover from this?

The "pending merge" message means that in the past (before you made the
quick fix to the two files) you did:

    bzr merge

This pulled stuff from the local trunk branch, and merged it with your
local quickfixes branch.  But you have to also run "bzr commit" to
complete the fix.  You didn't at the time, so the quickfixes branch
remains in a "the merge has locally finished but it is uncommitted"
state.

I think the easiest way to revert your local "quickfixes" branch to a
known & sane state is something like:

    1. Keep a backup of the two files you modified.
    2. Wipe the local quickfixes branch.
    3. Re-create the quickfixes from trunk.
    4. Overwre the two files in the new quickfixes branch.
    5. Use "bzr diff" to inspect the changes.
    6. Commit them with "bzr commit".

HTH,
Giorgos