Re: Refreshing Info nodes

From: Wojciech Meyer
Subject: Re: Refreshing Info nodes
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 00:38:18 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think  back(last)/up/g/j should be consistent in at least these modes:
>>
>> "help" buffer
>> dired
>> info
>> w3m
>
>           back(last)     up     goto     revert
> dired     q              ^      j        g
> info      l              u      g        -
> help      C-c C-b        ?      ?        -

Yes, I found those inconsistencies too.  Info node could be crossed out
from the list of candidates to change as bare info uses traditional
keymap (like Eli mentioned), however the package could provide a
different alternative set of bindings compatible with the rest of Emacs
(I agree that none of Emacs packages uses that approach, usually there
is one keymap, and it is up to the user to rebind it, but in this case
we would enforce at least optional consistency with other packages, and
for me it would be OK to change the default mode to the `right way to do
it in Emacs'. it is a good compromise). However in case of dired, help,
vc and any other mode for navigation over some *hierarchical* entity
that should be *synchronised* with some external state (the most common
is file-system -> dired), this should be unified. (one base mode for it?
I've noticed that we can inherit major modes).

BTW: I found that vc-status could be pretty much similar to dired. Would
that be feasible to annotate files in dired and shift some functionality
from vc-status mode to dired? (Most of the time I spent in dired anyway,
and calling vs status, or having a feedback about status of files under
version control could be good. (I know again, dired uses ls -l format
for historicial reasons, and there will be maybe a good lag during
updating the buffer, but...)

Just mine two cents,

Thanks.
Wojciech