Re: mouse-yank-primary and bug #7699

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: mouse-yank-primary and bug #7699
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 01:05:52 +0000

On 21/12/10 19:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I think I can fix bug#7699

Ho hum*.

My question is: could switching the order do the wrong thing on X?

I expect so. See discussions under #6635, #6802. x-get-selection-value (or the x-selection-value-internal it calls) is doing the relevant dance to get unicode.

*
I do remember a suggestion on my part to revert the rebinding of mouse-2 but then introduce a customization that controls whether mouse-yank-at-click should either call mouse-yank-primary or do its thing.

That would mean a rebinding would be unnecessary to restore old behaviour, would just be purely customizations. Frankly I'm not clear that Drew (and to a lesser extent yourself) have absorbed the fact rebinding of mouse-2 is presently necessary to restore old behaviour. Er. At least, I think it still is. Really I haven't quite caught up to the current trunk's state so I might be shooting my mouth off.

Anyway, mutating the new binding of mouse-2 until it acts like a creepy zombie version of the old binding seems ...a relatively awkward path to take.