RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:41:06 -0800

> >> Why shouldn't it?
LB> Because it makes Emacs harder to use (especially for new users).
>
> Learning emacs is _that_ hard already, I'm not sure M-f4 makes a
> difference. When you're new to emacs, there is just no way around
> actively learning the essential keys anyways.

Not only that, but I would hope that the reason for binding this key in Emacs to
do what it does in Windows would be because that action is common and that this
is the right key for it.

IOW, I would hope that the reason is to make life better for Emacs users in
general, not just for new users.  If the argument boils down to just another
newbie crutch, then that makes it weaker still.

> If you'd want to achieve consistent behaviour with the most-used
> window managers, you'd also have to make C-f do search and C-s save.

Please, don't give him any ideas.  That might well be next on the list...