RE: Bikeshedding "user choice"

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bikeshedding "user choice"
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:27:13 -0800

> > If each key for which we want pass-through has an Emacs
> > binding that specifies this (pass-through), then it is
> > clear to everyone what that key does in Emacs
> > (it is handled by the OS).  Likewise, for Stefan's
> > alternative of using `w32-passthrough-events'.
>
> What if I want Alt-f/e/o/... to activate menus "File/Edit/Options/..."
> and also for all other menus that some package might possibly add?
> Are you proposing that I need to define one "pass-through" for each
> of "Alt-a..z", just in case?

Presumably Emacs would provide a command `w32-menu-accel' (or you could write it
yourself), which would do just that.  It would either set all of those
pass-throughs or set them all to nil: on/off.  (Modulo any existing bindings.)

And if, as seems ever more likely, it's decided to give users more or less all
of Windows by default, then enabling would be the default: each of those
pass-throughs would be predefined.

`All Of Windows', now playing in an Emacs near you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

> Also what if some package thinks it wants to bind M-f in some local
> map which I would't really care except that I do care that my menu
> shortcut now stops working?

Are you saying that you now want to _preclude_ Emacs from creating bindings that
interfere with Windows menu accelerators?  Or that interfere with `Alt-f4' or
`Alt-f6' or `Alt-down' or... any other Windows keys...?

We have not see the last of this...