[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Input method or help feature needed

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Input method or help feature needed
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:45:11 +0100 (CET)

[Richard Stallman <address@hidden> (2011-02-20 21:01:11 UTC)]

> How can I find the Compose key on my keyboard?

As far as I understand, Compose and Multi_key are one and the same.
That is, the key used to be labeled Compose on the old Sun keyboards.
The PC keyboard doesn't have any such key, but I think it has been
common on X11 to use the right hand Menu key for that.
Anyhow, Multi_Key is the keysym used on X11.

If you run xev and place the mouse cursor in the little window that
pops up, you can hit various keys and find out what X11 thinks they're
called. If you don't have a key mapped to Multi_key, you can make it
so with xmodmap: For example,

  xmodmap -e 'keycode 69 = Multi_key'

will make the key with keycode into Multi_key. xev also gives you
keycodes, so that part is easy to figure out.

As for documentation, these days it seems you can find the compose key
combinations in files called /usr/share/X11/locale/*/Compose these
days, at least on one Ubuntu system I regularly use.

- Harald

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]