Re: Global indicators

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Global indicators
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 20:56:26 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:55:10 -0500 Stefan Monnier
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> OK, let's do it that way.  Are you happy with the way Michael's patch
>>> specifies it with %/?
>
> SM> I don't think we need a C-level change for this feature, so no %/.
> SM> Instead, we should use a Lisp variable.
>
> That's fine.

My latest version of the patch didn't use the "%/" formatter. Instead
of, I did allow to specify a symbol, which would get the rotating values
of `progress-reporter--pulse-characters'. This symbol could be part of
`mode-line-format', but this is not mandatory.

I gave two examples, where it would make sense to use the modeline
instead of the echo area:

* You could change `mode-line-remote' by a spinning character, indicating
  that Tramp is busy, not dead.

* You could replace the face of `mode-line-buffer-identification',
  indicating some actions in the corresponding buffer.

But of course, it might be better to indicate also other places for
indicators but echo area and modeline.

> CY> Another problem is that when you have lots of windows, each with its own
> CY> mode-line, mode-lines become much less appealing locations for global
> CY> indicators.  Ideally, you want to be able to glance at the same spot on
> CY> the Emacs frame, regardless of which window is active.  (Using the
> CY> mode-line to show the date, battery life, etc. is problematic for the
> CY> same reason).

I agree that we shall not add more indicators to the modeline. But
animating existing ones might be useful.

> Are you going to propose an API and some specifics of what functionality
> these indicators will offer and where and how they can be attached, or
> do you want me and Michael to come up with something?

Same question here.

> I really hope we make the indicators text-based so they work in text mode.

1+.

Gtk-based indicators are a good thing, but they shall have alternatives
applicable with "emacs -nw".

> Thanks
> Ted

Best regards, Michael.