Re: auth-source-search: annoying messages

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: auth-source-search: annoying messages
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:06:08 -0600

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:17:48 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> We can actually use something besides `message' to issue these notices.
>> It may be useful so the user can tell their authinfo files are being
>> searched.

SM> I don't think it's a good idea.  If we go down this path, we may also
SM> want to add messages about "looking up gnus-secondary-methods",
SM> "taking a look at gnus-nntp-server", ...

I don't mean to add messages but a less intrusive way to report
progress.  The rationale is the same as `make-progress-reporter' itself,
it's a general facility and not for auth-source.el specifically.  If it
supports icons, we could stack different ones to tell the user what's
going on.  So I proposed the 'modeline approach in a separate thread
here.

It would be nice if Gnus showed progress like that, actually.  There's
many Gnus parts that show numeric progress in the minibuffer
(e.g. nnimap downloads) that could be less noisy.

Ted